Legumes are a food you should absolutely be loving! There’s a wide variety to choose from including beans, nuts, seeds and lentils, so there is usually a legume for every palate. And because there are so many choices it’s fairly easy to get a couple of servings everyday. This should be a general goal for most of us considering they are whole-foods, inexpensive and they have a plethora of health benefits. So what’s so great about legumes anyway?
- They’re high in B vitamins, iron, calcium, phosphorous, zinc and magnesium. Legumes are loaded with vitamins and minerals including B-Vitamin Folate which is important for pregnant women and iron which is great for vegans and vegetarians.
- Legumes are a good source of antioxidants. The power of plants wins again! Legumes are full of antioxidants that can help fight cancer and other serious diseases.
- They’re low in saturated fat. So unlike meat, legumes are a great source of protein and iron without being high in saturated fat.
- Legumes are a good source of fiber. Beans and lentils are the highest in fiber when it comes to legumes. Soybeans pack a whopping 30 grams of fiber per cup!
- Peanut butter is made from legumes- need I say more??? So unless you or someone you love has an allergy you probably think peanut butter is awesome like I do. Smear a teaspoon on sliced bananas, apples or my favorite, super dark chocolate and you are in legume heaven!
Legumes are great for you and they certainly should be a staple in any healthy, whole-food diet. Please share your favorite legume recipes in our comments section below.